Case of the Wednesdays is composed of several wonderful women on their journey of creating and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. We invite you to follow our journeys and share your own experiences!

[The name of the group comes from the group's founder who posted a "Weight Loss Wednesday" on her own personal blog. She had such an overwhelming response from her readers, she decided to create a larger network of women on the same journey and to have posts throughout the week.]

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Jamie week 7 Crossfit

A few years ago when I started at the gym I would go in and always try new things. I had started experiencing with running. I would run a minute or two then walk, change my incline, run a minute or two then walk. One thing I did and I still do to this day is I take the first 5 minutes as my warm up.
so one day I went to the gym and it was pretty empty, I got on a treadmill and did my 5 minute warm up. I started to run and it felt good I was approaching maybe 3 minutes of running when I realize that my shoe came untied. Crap I think, I have these little superstitions Ill talk about another week. I stop the treadmill and start to tie my shoe until I hear in this incredibly deep voice, "You're going to keep running after that right". Me, "huh, um yeah".
I look up and its this really buff really tall African American (trying to be politically correct here) in his forties. He laughs and starts running, I start running and I refused to stop until he did. we went about 3 miles and it felt great!! I had never ran that far before!! I could not wait to come back tomorrow and do it again because now I know I can. HAHA until I woke up the next day and could barely walk! Lets just say my 5 foot frame holding nearly 200 pounds up on a treadmill running for 3 miles was not my bodies idea of fun.
I did the same thing this week only with Crossfit. First of I loved it,  it was workouts my body is not used to and I didn't want to look weak so I used more weights than I should have. And I did more pull ups than I ever thought possible. Here's the breakdown of the 2 days I did in case anyone is curious.
Warm up
Various predetermined things like squats, lunges, sit ups etc lasted about 15 minutes.
Skill
Everyday a skill is chosen and a certain amount of time is spent on it. This day was pull ups for 15 minutes.
Workout
Run 400 m
10 shoulder thrusts with 115pound barbell
10 pull ups
repeat as many times as you can in 18 minutes. I did 3 1/3 times through.

Warm up
Same thing but more hip movements because this day was lots of legs
Skill
Jump rope
Workout
21 dead lifts 55 pounds
21 kettle bell swings 30 pounds
15 dead lifts
15 swings
9 dead lifts
9 swings
This was for time. I did it in a little under 6 minutes. People with heavier weights took longer due to breaks

What I like: couldn't move because muscles I haven't worked and/or new I existed were exercised.
What I didn't like: there wasn't alot of stretching. I should have stretched on my own then i wouldn't be so sore I think. Also this particular facility makes you take a 2 week "onramp" class. Its 3 days a week for 2 weeks. 1. I cant commit myself like that. 2. So they want me to pay $115 a month and waste 2 weeks of it learning how to do things I already know?
So I did find another facility nearby that does just a one hour introductory class, and they have a better schedule so I wont have to go at 5am everyday. WHEW! I was exhausted too!

Baked chicken wings
I made it up!! I grabbed fresh cut not frozen chicken wings from the farmers market. I mxsed fat free ranch with red hot and a little barbecue sauce and I baked them in the oven at 425 for 40 minutes flipping them once. It was long enough to give them a little crispiness.
I paired them with weight watcher fries and what I mean by that is:
Cut 2 potatoes into this slices, lightly spread a little olive oil or butter or butter sub on baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper and bake them with your wings. A small potato is only 2 points, if cut right it would be about 6-8 slices.

Grabbed a DVD for home: Jillian Micheal's Yoga Meltdown. $9 at Walmart!

No comments:

Post a Comment