Case of the Wednesdays is composed of several wonderful women on their journey of creating and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. We invite you to follow our journeys and share your own experiences!

[The name of the group comes from the group's founder who posted a "Weight Loss Wednesday" on her own personal blog. She had such an overwhelming response from her readers, she decided to create a larger network of women on the same journey and to have posts throughout the week.]

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Jamie Story Time......

This week I just want to share a story with everyone. A story that broke my heart a year ago and I still think about it everyday.
Last year around this time we had our friends and family at work and we were really busy. A customer who shops regularly came in with her kids. Just a little background on her. She has 3 kids, then they were 16, 15 and 11. Her husband/their father had passed away within the last year and half from a stroke. She always comes in and talks about it and I would always listen. She is a waitress at the Olive Garden, we drive the same brand of car etc etc.
So this particular day it was unseasonably warm outside and she was summer clothes shopping with her kids. We grabbed some stuff and they went to the fitting room. Now this is around April and I was still actively in weight watchers and losing weight. I had recently fit into a size 9/10 at Aero. Which was a big deal for me I was feeling really good about myself.
I hear this mom being mean to her 16 year old, saying things like "I cant believe these are too small" etc etc.
I made my way to the shorts wall to fix it up a little and she comes up behinds me and says "Hey can you grab me that 9/10 for my fatty daughter". WHAT?????
I turned around looked her in the eye and said "Im a 9/10". She says ya but my daughter is 16 she needs to be a 00.
This says 2 things to me. Why does society think a 16 year old should be a 00, or at least this lady. And this poor girl has associated eating with losing her dad. Maybe this mom should help her daughter instead of putting her down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment