Case of the Wednesdays is composed of several wonderful women on their journey of creating and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. We invite you to follow our journeys and share your own experiences!

[The name of the group comes from the group's founder who posted a "Weight Loss Wednesday" on her own personal blog. She had such an overwhelming response from her readers, she decided to create a larger network of women on the same journey and to have posts throughout the week.]

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Allyson | What's with all the 'racket'?!





I’m back! I’m back to blogging; I’m back to working out regularly; I’m back to drinking loads of water each day; I’m back to saying ‘no’ to sweets!



Preface: I wrote most of this blog over a month ago, just never finished or posted it. There is a bit at the end that is current as of 5/22/13.


It’s amazing the simple activities you can begin to enjoy when you don’t feel like death from carrying around so much extra weight.

I have always thought I hated tennis. Colin enjoys it quite a bit: he played on his high school team, goes out on weekends with his dad, and watches it on tv. A couple years ago he would drag me out from time to time to play with him and I absolutely hated it. I hated running around the court and I just couldn’t get the hang of how to use the racket. [I played softball growing up and just couldn’t shake whacking the ball with all my might…needless to say, not very many balls stayed in the court.] Since I hated it, I stopped going with him. I probably have not played at all since I have lost weight.

Saturday [sometime in April] was a little glimpse of spring in our nook of NE Ohio so Colin made plans to play tennis with his dad.  He asked if I wanted to go along and because I wasn’t thinking [as my thought process was scrambled due to the rare occurrence of sunlight], I agreed.  I was excited to wear my tennis ball-colored t-shirt, new hot pink sports bra and matching headband, so I didn’t even think about the activity in which I was about to participate.

To my total amazement, I actually enjoyed playing! I am absolutely no good- still trying to slam the balls out of the court- but I put forth effort to try to get to the balls and chase after them once I hit them across the three adjacent courts. [Colin’s poor dad…I really had him running all around trying to get the balls I hit to his side!]  At one point I even told Colin I was having a really good time [actually having fun, not just getting through it] and I think the reason was because I didn’t feel like I was dying as I chased after tennis balls. We realized that that day was the first time I played tennis since I lost weight and it was eye-opening to realize what a difference 40 pounds makes.
-------------------------------
Since that epiphany, we have been to the courts several more times over the past few weeks.  I must say, I am improving with each time we go out!  I actually WANT to get out and play, I don’t want to leave the courts, and I have to talk Colin into staying longer! Sometimes I still get down about not being a Williams sister, but Colin tells me I’m doing well and I’ll keep getting better.  I joked that I might be better than him one day but then quickly recanted, to which he responded, “You never know. You also never thought you’d run a 5K.”  What a great, encouraging guy! Colin’s dad is also very encouraging, gives me pointers, and picks on Colin to make me feel better =)

Physical activity in general is just so much easier now that I am fit.  For instance, we buy the mega 42-pound bag of Fresh Step from Sam’s and I could hardly get it in and out of the buggy. Well, folks, I just bought some yesterday and carried that sucker to the check-out [from the complete back of the store] and to my car all on my own!  You should see my guns =P  I can go on longer bike rides, take Brinkley on longer walks, challenge myself with more intense workouts, and participate in more events.

While looking good is a great outcome to weight loss, I’d say feeling better is an even greater accomplishment!


No comments:

Post a Comment