Case of the Wednesdays is composed of several wonderful women on their journey of creating and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. We invite you to follow our journeys and share your own experiences!

[The name of the group comes from the group's founder who posted a "Weight Loss Wednesday" on her own personal blog. She had such an overwhelming response from her readers, she decided to create a larger network of women on the same journey and to have posts throughout the week.]

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Shena-Week 2, Recipes

Good afternoon ladies! Im sitting at work thinking that I wish I would have shaved my legs so that I can wear shorts to the gym! We are having a bit of a heat wave and I know the gym is going to be hot, humid and stuffy!!
Anyhoo...I hope everyone is having a great week so far! I went out to eat to O'Charleys last night and before I went I got on O'charleys website and got the nutritional info for the whole menu. I ordered the 6 oz grilled top sirloin for 300 calories, a side of asparagus for 80 calories and a side salad with oil and vingager dressing. It was a nice healthy dinner...until...I ate 3.5 rolls with butter. Whoopsie!! Bread and carbs are my weakness...I honestly could not stop myself!! Ok, lets be honest...I could have.
Well I know I promised some recipes so today I am going to share my favorite brown rice recipes!! Now, I know a lot of people do not like brown rice. I used to hate it!! But then I discovered yummy healthy ways to make it delicious! I have 3 go to rice dishes...all made with instant brown rice:
ASIAN STIR FRY
  • Prepare rice according to package
  • Meanwhile sautee some garlic, onions and celery (chopped in small peices) in some canola oil
  • When veggies are done mix in the cooked rice
  • Add a few drops of seasame oil (go light on this kids! Sesame oil is strong!)
  • Mix it!
Add soy sauce if you like. I usually dont.
I love this stuff!! Goes great with some shrimp or chicken or pork!!!!
MEXICAN RICE
  • Start with the above 3 bullet points
  • Add a little olive or canola oil just to moisten the rice
  • Add a few shakes of Cumin
  • Mix it up!
I sometimes will add some jalepeno peppers or some cayenne pepper to give it some spice
EVERYDAY RICE
  • Same as above, however just use a little olive oil and garlic salt to flavor the rice instead of the cumin or sesame oil!
I honestly eat this rice 2-3 times a week. In fact my lunch today was the mexican rice topped with my homemade black bean salsa!!! Also, the Mexican Rice would go good with Jenn's chicken fajitas...

1 comment:

  1. Bread is a hard one for me too. I find if you don't even cave in to one...it's easier to resist than to try to stop after eating one. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete