Case of the Wednesdays is composed of several wonderful women on their journey of creating and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. We invite you to follow our journeys and share your own experiences!

[The name of the group comes from the group's founder who posted a "Weight Loss Wednesday" on her own personal blog. She had such an overwhelming response from her readers, she decided to create a larger network of women on the same journey and to have posts throughout the week.]

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Allyson | Week 8 | Insane in the Membrane



I think I have mentioned before that I hate to exercise.  I can’t help it, I just do. I prefer to be lazy. However, laziness is what got me overweight in the first place, so obviously I can’t keep that up. Over the past year and a half I have tried many different exercise routines and workouts, trying to find something I actually enjoyed and wouldn’t be a chore to do. These workouts included P90X, Jillian’s 30-Day Shred, Biggest Loser DVD, Yoga DVDs, Wii Fit, running, strength training, Zumba, aerobics, etc. Out of that huge list, I can only say I thoroughly enjoy one: Zumba. I love to shake my thang and this work out lets me do just that! I actually enjoy going to Zumba, I have fun, and I look forward to going.  If you are stuck in a workout rut, I highly suggest finding a Zumba class nearby.


The problem is, I can only make it to Zumba once or twice a week and then am left filling the other days with something I don’t enjoy. If I don’t enjoy it I probably won’t do it. BREAKING NEWS: I found another work out I do enjoy!   Insanity.   (That's the name of the program...not just insanity that I found an exercise I enjoy.)  Okay, I don’t actually enjoy it while I’m working out (as sweat is dripping, lungs are burning, every muscle is screaming), but I do enjoy how I feel when I’m done and especially the next day when I just about can’t move a muscle.

Insanity is a 60-day intense workout program incorporating strength into ridiculous cardio. Monday was my first day and only a couple times I thought I was going to die.  I was actually a little disappointed Tuesday when I wasn’t that sore. I told a friend I was bummed I wasn’t in more pain, and I feel like I must have done something wrong (as another friend who did the program –a guy—said he just about died during the warm up). My friend is so dear, and she said it was no wonder I wasn’t a sore mess since I have been working out for quite some time now. That was nice…but I still wanted to feel sore. I know that might sound weird, but I really only feel like my body is changing and the program is working if I basically can’t out of bed the next day.
Since I didn’t feel like death after Monday’s workout, I decided to up the ante on Tuesday. I did Insanity in the morning and then went to my Zumba class in the evening. Last night wasn’t too bad...but I had certainly achieved soreness when I woke up this morning! My shoulders, triceps, quads, hams, and calves reminded me all day that I worked them out the day before. Love.

Even with all the soreness, I was able to get through today’s Insanity workout (“Pure Cardio”).  I am trying really, really, really hard to stick with this program for the full 60 days. I have a bad track record with fulfilling #-Day programs…and I have never even seen the third 10-day portion of Jillian’s 30-Day Shred.  I want to get to the point where I don’t feel complete if I didn’t work out that day. I want to get to the point where I can have a bit more freedom with what I eat, just as long as I workout.

The past several weeks I have done really well with keeping my carbs and cals low during the week, but as soon as dinnertime on Friday hits I lose all self control and have myself a little food party through Sunday night. This is not cool. I really need to reign it in on the weekends. Sure, I can indulge a smidge, but I just need to be wise about it. For instance, I know I am going to an Italian place for dinner on Friday. I am going to eat pasta. Since I know this in advance I can help counter my meal by working out twice as much. I will be going to Zumba in the morning and doing Insanity before going to dinner. Same thing Saturday and Sunday- If I know I am going to be in a situation where I will be eating more cals, I just need to up the workouts to help balance the intake. This seems like it makes sense….we’ll see how it goes. (Surely it will be better than not working out at all on the weekends and eating desserts like it’s my last day on earth as has been the case the past forever.)

I’m just trying to stick with the plan: Eat less, Move more.


No comments:

Post a Comment